Are you tired of your home smelling like an ashtray? Cigarette smoke is not only disgusting to smell but also harmful to your health.
If there is a persistent tobacco smell in your home, it can harm both your health & reputation and also reduce the value of your property. It is why you should know how to remove cigarette smoke odor from home, and in this article, we are going to discuss some ways to do just that.
How to remove Cigarette smoke odor from Home
1. Turn On the Fans & Open Windows
If you or someone else has recently smoked in a room, you can remove most of the tobacco odor by ventilating the room. Open all the windows and turn on the fans in the room. The circulating air will help dissipate the cigarette smell away from the room.
Tip: You can use extra desk fans to speed up the process.
2. Soak up smoke with a cloth dipped in vinegar.
You can also remove a small quantity of cigarette smell by waving a vinegar-soaked cloth in the area. Just do the following.
- In a bowl, pour two cups of white vinegar.
- Take a clean dishcloth and dip it in the vinegar.
- Wring the cloth to ensure that it doesn’t drip on the floor or furniture.
- Wave the cloth around your head in the parts of your home you want to eliminate the smell.
3. Clean the walls & floor with a water & vinegar solution.
Vinegar works well in masking the smoke smell from the house, and you can use it to wipe walls and floors to eliminate the smoke odor.
- Mix half a gallon of warm water and two cups of white vinegar in a bucket.
- Dip a rag into the vinegar-water solution and twist it to remove excessive moisture.
- Wipe the walls and floors of your home with a damp cloth.
- The vinegar smell will disperse over time, so leave it be.
4. Use baking soda to remove odor from carpets & upholstery.
Baking soda is another household item that can absorb the smoke smell. You can use baking soda to remove the musty smoke odor from your carpets and upholstery. Here is how to do it.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda over the carpet or upholstery from which you want to remove the smoke smell.
- Allow the baking soda to sit for 60-90 minutes on the upholstered furniture or carpet.
- Use a cloth to push baking soda deeper into the carpet or upholstery fibers. ( only apply mild pressure, excessive pressure may damage the items.)
- Vacuum the baking soda using an upholstery attachment and ensure that you vacuum every last particle of baking soda.
- Empty the vacuum bag outside your home to prevent the smoke odor from returning to your home.
Some Other tips to remove cigarette smoke from home
⤅ Use Air Purifiers
If your home has a persistent tobacco smell, you should consider investing in an air purifier. Buy an air purifier with a HEPA filter to ensure you get the best results for tobacco smell removal.
⤅ Use Vinegar & Bread
If the tobacco odor is in a small area of your house, dip a piece of bread in a bowl filled with white vinegar and leave it there for a day. Make sure that you completely submerge the bread in the vinegar. The bread will absorb the tobacco smell.
⤅ Use Charcoal
If you can wait a week to remove the tobacco smell from your home, this method is for you. Leave some pieces of charcoal in the areas you want to reduce the smell and let it sit for a week. After a week, throw away the charcoal with the cigarette smell.
⤅ Hire Professionals
If none of the methods for removing tobacco odor work, your final option is to hire professional tobacco and cannabis odor-removal services. Professionals have many years of experience dealing with musty odors and have the latest cleaning and deodorizing tools for effective odor removal.
Moreover, professionals will give you an accurate estimate of how much it will cost to get the smell of a cigarette out of the home. Therefore, you only pay the agreed price with no additional cost.